Summer Is Here Soon! How to Keep Your Fridge Running in The Heat
Fridge maintenance is important throughout the year. However, taking care of your fridge is particularly important during the brutal summer months. At Capital Appliance Repair, we know better than anyone that summertime in Ottawa can get pretty darn hot sometimes. This is the kind of weather that can certainly put a strain on your appliances. When people think about summer and their appliances, they usually think about their air conditioners. To be sure, when the hottest days in Ottawa kick in, your air conditioner is going to be working harder than ever.
At the same time, you should also keep in mind that your fridge goes through a lot. When your fridge goes out on you during the summer, you are definitely going to feel it. If you have a fridge that dispenses water and/or ice, then your urgency can increase tenfold. While we can be there to restore your fridge to its proper working order, we also know that it is possible to avoid repair work in certain situations. Simple fridge maintenance can go a long way towards ensuring your fridge lasts for years and years.
Caring for Your Fridge in The Summertime
Believe it or not, the summer season is easily our busiest time of the year for fridge repairs and replacement work. We sometimes forget that when the temperature climbs, we rely on our fridge and freezer more. It might be a more relaxed time of the year for you and the family, but you can be sure that your fridge is working harder than ever!
Remember that when you take care of your fridge, you will have something that can last for 15+ years. That includes the summers. To that end, there are some simple summer fridge maintenance tips that you can keep in mind. Higher temperatures and increased humidity can do a number on your fridge. There are thankfully a lot of things you can do to turn the tide on that.
Summer Fridge Care Tips
Taking care of your fridge during the summer doesn’t have to be a big deal. As is often the case with appliance maintenance, it simply comes down to taking a few different measures at different points during the summer. These are not going to cost you a lot of money, and they aren’t going to demand a whole lot of your free time.
Here are some easy summer fridge maintenance ideas that you can keep in mind:
- Changing the water filter: If you have a water dispenser or ice maker associated with your fridge, then it stands to reason that you also have a filter. Your filter should be swapped out for a fresh one every six or so months. If you can’t remember the last time you replaced it, then do so before summer starts.
- Cleaning out the fridge: Germs and bacteria are always something to be wary of with your fridge. This can get even worse, once the weather starts to warm up. White vinegar and baking soda are perfect for cleaning your fridge inside and out. You should also keep an eye on anything that might be expiring soon.
- Checking the temp: Different factors can impact the temperature of your fridge. Use a thermostat to find out if your fridge is vacillating. If this turns out to be the case, then you may need to call in the experts for an assessment.
- Cleaning your condenser coils: If your fridge isn’t cooling as it should, then there is a good chance that your condenser coils are dirty. This is a pretty straightforward example of fridge maintenance. Cleaning the coils can ensure your fridge doesn’t have to work as hard. This can also bring down your monthly energy costs.
- Cleaning your drain hole and drip tray: Your drip tray is likely to be found at the bottom of your fridge. The main purpose for the drip tray involves removing condensation, but it can also pick up gross little particles of food with time. When you remove the tray, you will have your drip hole. If either or both of these things are dirty, make it a point to clean them.
We often take our appliances for granted. This is certainly something that you can apply to your fridge. When the months of June to August start, we tend to put our minds towards other things. Fridge maintenance is generally not something that is first and foremost on our minds. You don’t have to become obsessive about it. Simply remember the above suggestions, and you should be just fine for the summer season.